July 03, 2009

A Food Buying

Sorry for the slow posting progress, I've actually been really busy. Surprise? I'm going to write soon about how school and teaching are going, so don't worry. This post is about my first grocery trip experience.

My second night in Korea, I walked towards the closest grocery shop to my home. On the way, I first ran into a white couple. Cool, you know, my first foreigners I have met by chance. Their names were Steven and Jackie, nice people from the east coast. We chat briefly and are on our respective ways. Next, bam, I run into another two foreigners about thirty seconds later. They were Nick from the USA and a girl from Canada whose name I do not remember. Sorry.

Then, bleary eyed from the 14 hour time shift, I stumble through the aisles of the supermarket, pick a bunch of random food, and head back.

Bam, third foreigner run in. This time, I meet a man named Roger, out on the street for a smoke. Roger ends up being quite the interesting guy, and is 51 and from the UK. We decide to run right across the street for some coffee, chat it up about teaching since it turns out he has been there three years and is somewhat of a pro, and I run home in order to salvage my strawberry and chocolate milks.

All in all, a good trip to the market. It turns out there are upwards of 40 or so foreigners living in Seosan, so the chances of running into somebody while out is pretty good. It was very encouraging to me to meet so many people who speak the same language as me.

Oh, here was my score at the super market:
Some notable items:
Tiny bananas - made me somewhat nostalgic for the ones I had in Rwanda
Ham tube - was hoping it was spam since I couldn't read the label
Spaghetti Raman - y'know
Cookies - closest thing I could find to Oreos
Corn Cho - friggin' amazing, corn puffs half dipped in chocolate

This all cost about $17 American, not too bad I think.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post. I remember my first grocery shopping experience in Japan. It is quite the endeavor to grocery shop when you can't read the labels. We have those little bananas here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS POST. ITS ONE IN A MILLION KEEP IT UP. AM FROM NIGERIA

    ReplyDelete