July 16, 2009

Isn't That A...

One strange item I have noticed on the streets of Korea is surprisingly, the swastika. I think everybody in the West knows this symbol from WWII, Nazi Germany, Adolf Hitler, killing, etc. I have seen this item in a few places:
See that in the background? (this is really close to my house)

Seems like a nice place?

Killer seat covers!

Some minor research tells me that in Japan, this symbol is used to mark a Buddhist temple on a map as well as used in signage on Buddhist temples. I imagine that the same use applies in Korea, where a swastika may just show that one practices Buddhism. In this east this symbol really takes on more of a meaning of peace and love. Still, it's pretty hard to get Nazi connotations of the swastika out of my mind.

On a semi-related note (really?), I picked this up from a guy who sells hats on the street on my way to work. Suicidal Tendencies is a metal band from the late 80's/early 90's, and somehow this semi-obscure band's hat ended up in a market in Korea. Who knows how or why, but now I own it (I wear it ironically). The guy's first price was 10k Won, and I replied 8k. He said 10k again, I said OK.

Here is Suicidal Tendencies' hit, 'Institutionalized,' in case anybody is curious. It was in guitar hero.

2 comments:

  1. brad it is actually a symbol for peace. the nazi's took the mirror image of it to use as their symbol. Interesting, huh?
    -KHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I noticed the swastika symbol is everywhere in Japan. I was also going to say what "anonymous" said. I have been told the same thing.

    ReplyDelete