June 30, 2009

Annyong, Korea

So, I went to Korea yesterday (already feels like a week ago). Gonna teach a year of English in a town called Seosan. I have zero experience teaching children, so we'll see how that goes.

The trip here ended up being of the most pleasant nature. Besides the fact that I had to wait at O'Hare for over 5 hours and the 13 hour plane ride of course, it was enjoyable with the new people I met and fresh sights. The flight somehow felt like a mere 8 hours....maybe only 6. I slept for about 6 hours, though I have no idea if this is how long it lasted because I couldn't keep track of time on the flight. My Asiana airlines flight was well staffed with 13 flight attendants, mostly Korean women. Quick and efficient, with hair tied back in a bun and adorned in red aprons while serving food, they actually produced a nice breeze while gliding by.

The rest of the trip included customs and waiting at the airport for about an hour, then a cab ride to the bus station in Seoul. This trip to Seoul would have been unnecessary, but I got there so early in the morning there were no direct busses to Seosan from Incheon, and I had to endure a two hour ride in traffic. That ride did end up being an optimal napping period, and the driver gave me a sandwich consisting of a mix of egg salad, ham, and something like water chestnuts. Then a short 1.5 hour bus ride to Seosan where my boss Jay met me, and I was at home in my new apartment.

Now, for some photos:
A strange sign on the outside of my apartment building.


I do like my apartment which is about 300 square feet and eerily similar to a place I lived in Madison.


The view from my balcony.


Office area.


The closet.


And finally, the bathroom. but where is the shower?


Oh, there it is. The bathroom is the shower. I actually enjoy showering like this alot.

7 comments:

  1. Cool. You hose down the bathroom while showering.

    What's the area outside your balcony, with the green floor? Looks like some kind of athletic practice area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you showered while sitting on the toilet yet? I'm glad you are enjoying everything so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks pretty nice man...keep postin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great Brad. Glad to hear your travels went well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, no showering while on toilet yet. The green area is just a rooftop and then theres a sign on it that looks like a soccer goal or something. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you made it ok. It is so strange to see the toilet in the same room as the sink and shower. They have the toilet all by itself here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The strange sign says "Watch out for dogs".

    ReplyDelete