July 29, 2009

A Vacation Already?

Well, one month in Korea is over. I could put in more reflective words here, but I'm just going to say I'll do that later and talk about my upcoming vacation.

Do I need a vacation after one month of work? Not really. Am I going to take one? Yes, most definitely. It seems like a good time to go anyway because they started demolishing this place across the street from me so I hear just a little bit too much broken glass and destruction at 7:00 in the morning. Side comment: these people never wear hard hats.

For anybody who doesn't know, I'm going to Thailand. I actually leave today and have to catch a bus in three hours. From there, I have a small layover in Taiwan, and then it's off to Bangkok. I have packed very very lightly. Just six days of clothes, toiletries, a few books, hat, sunglasses, sandals, camera, and MP3 player. Luckily it all nestles snugly into my backpack.

I don't have the itinerary set yet, but my possibly to do list includes:
The Grand Palace (located very close to my hotel)
Suan Lum Night Bazaar
Chatuchak Market
Chinatown
Ayuthaya ancient ruins
Vimanek Mansion
Thai River Cruise
Marble Temple
A Day at a beach somewhere
Whatever random things I find

I am traveling alone, mostly due to the fact that no other teacher's vacation aligned with mine. There are three teachers headed to Phuket, Thailand and will be in Bangkok one of the nights I'm there so I'm planning to meet with them. I can deal with traveling alone, though, because I like the aspects of sticking to my own schedule, seeing the attractions I want to see, and being forced to meet new people.

I have also heard that pickpockets might be a problem. I recently read, though, that the Thai government has really cracked down on it because they value tourism. I'm not sure what to think, because this could be an elaborate scheme by a federation of pickpockets who want people to lower their guard. Anyway, I made a necklace passport/credit card holder out of three index cards, a shoelace, and some duct tape, so I'm pretty sure I'll be safe.

This is going to be my last blog post for a week, so I'm going to leave you with a few current chart toppers from Korea to pass the time. Enjoy:


1 comment:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnqj31VPNoE

    I like your passport holder and i hope you have a good trip!
    -KHO

    ReplyDelete