November 30, 2009

The Tower of Seoul

Ahhh, last post of November. Another year has almost past, and by that time I'll have been here 6 months. I'm still looking for exciting new things to experience and post about on this here blog, but it's just a little slow. Sorry about that.

I did see one of the most popular tourist attractions of Seoul a weekend ago, so this should make a good post. What I saw was the large tower which looms above the city of Seoul, called Namsan tower.

This trip didn't start great, due to the fact that I decided to stay out until 8 a.m. on the morning that I was getting up at 9 a.m. to go to Seoul. Real smart, me, real smart. Anyway, I got up at 9 and met my Irish friend Michael to head to Seoul. He's a friend who got here only a few weeks ago, and we made the trip for two purposes: one to eat mexican food, and the other to meet his friend Mariah from Sweden and see where the day takes us.

As soon as we got to Seoul we went to one of my favorite spots, called COEX Mall. This place has my favorite book store and mexican food restaurant in Seoul. Needless to say the books and mexican food were great.

After, we made our way to the Namsan which involved a couple of subway trains and a long walk up a hill. Along the way I passed my favorite piece of art I have seen in Seoul, this biker with a streaky paint finish. It reminds me of something I would try to make.

This is a picture of the tower and the daunting hill we walked up. It was nice they had a cable car to take us to the base of the tower, which was a life (and time) saver.

Here's a pic of my friend Michael and his (my new) friend Mariah. She's nearly six feet tall.

I decided to get my picture taken with these two giant teddy bears outside of some kind of teddy bear museum or store or something. I thought the picture turned out well.

This tower place is built up as very romantic. In fact, one can purchase a lock (or bring their own), write their own and their lover's name on it, and lock it around this chain link fence. It was really ridiculous how many were up there. There was yard after yard of these fences with locks on them. Locks locked to locks for locks upon locks upon locks. I joked that I was going to come up one more time with a bobby pin, start trying to pick some, and see how long it takes for the cops to be called. I wouldn't really do it because I'm sure all of the relationships associated with the locks would then be doomed.

This is one of my favorites. I think it's Italian.

We decided to not spend the money to actually travel all the way up to the top of the tower since it was a super gloomy day. Because of this I didn't get any very good pictures, and I'll most likely have to go back again some day. It also started raining a little so it was time to get out of there. We opted out of the cable car ride down the hill and had to go down this stairway with thousands of steps. By the time we were down I was almost physically unable to make the motion of going down steps, although going upstairs strangely still felt OK.

Here's a picture of a cabbage garden I thought I would thrown in just to illustrate how strange this country can be.

So the day ended well, we spent some time at this huge 0utdoor market which I forgot the name of. I wish that I needed something while I was there because I'm sure they would have had it. We stopped for some coffee on the way out to try to counteract my increasingly incoherent speech due to the one hour of sleep, and then we were on our way back home. All in all, a nice day.

3 comments:

  1. That wall of locks is pretty impressive, though it seems they may obstruct some of the view?! I see that Tokyo Tower also does this(and Seoul's may have even orignated from there!). The lock that you featured is written in Portuguese, I believe, and says something like,
    "Glad to have you here with me!
    Love you"

    ReplyDelete
  2. there's also a bridge on the Ponte Vecchio in italy where they do the locks! (not nearly as many locks though). i did a little research and supposedly it originated in Rome- when men had to leave for military services they attached a lock to one of the bridges as a promise to return home. fact of the day. haha.

    -mys

    ReplyDelete
  3. More pics of the NSeoul Tower....

    http://sites.google.com/site/worldattractionssite/

    ReplyDelete