November 08, 2009

A Bike Adventure

A strange thing happened to me on Saturday, when I saw this bike that had been thrown down in a ravine, see below:


This little bike, most likely meant for a girl aged 10 to 15, decked out in a pink paint job with a sweet basket on the front, was down there. I can't be sure exactly what it was doing down there, but my guess is that some jerk, possibly drunken, grabbed the bike and just threw it down there. Here's a view from the opposite side.

I became somewhat obsessed with getting this bike out the ravine. I began sizing up how I could do it, possibly just climb down there and try to throw it back up was one of my first thoughts. It was down there probably 4 or 5 meters from street level, so that would have to be one hell of a throw.


It eventually became obvious to me that I would need some rope to hoist it out of there. Luckily, there were poles which used to hold up a fence right near the edge of the rocks (if you squint you can see them in the picture above).


I decided I was going to get some rope, repel down the side of the rocks, tie one end to the bike, and climb my way back up with the help of the rope. Somehow, this plan went off without a hitch, and I managed to pull the bike back up pretty easily. It was covered in weeds and stuff because it had rained a lot the night before and some water may have flowed over it or something.


I decided not to keep the bike due to it being both pink, and having a lock on the back tire. Anyway, here the bike is now, right next to the bridge over the river where it had lived the night before. I didn't bother to clean all of the weeds off of it because I thought if the owner got her bike back she would be happy enough that a few weeds on the bike wouldn't really affect her. My friend Ben suggested that maybe the girl hated her bike and ditched it so that her parents would have to buy her a new one. I think I like this idea a lot of some little girl thinking her bike is haunted and reappearing. Whatever happens, I hope the owner gets it back.

2 comments:

  1. So, did you draw a crowd of onlookers when you were rescuing the bike? Seems like the kind of thing that might have locals wondering what the crazy foreigner was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...when i just pulled it out of the ravine two girls were walking buy and saw me inspecting the bike. I could tell they thought it was strange, but that was it for onlookers.

    ReplyDelete