September 04, 2009

A Few Paintings

I finally finished a few more paintings and it seems worthwhile to post these now. First is one somewhat inspired by my trip to Thailand, where I saw all of the Buddha statues, and not to mention the gold.

The painting started as this grid:

Then, I wanted to paint some kind of a face. I ended up choosing this golden Buddha face which allowed me to use this nice sparkly gold paint. I did it in a pixelated style inside of the eight sided oval shapes with eight sided star shapes which result from the remainder of the other shape.

Then I added into the eight a rainbow of colors, and ended up with this. It didn't end up looking quite as good as I had hoped, but I still like it. It ended up as part polychromatic and part polychromatic. It's a little hard to see the gold paint here because the camera really caught the reflection of the flash.

I also did this next painting which was originally inspired by the coloring of an old ladies dress which I really liked. It does have a meaning. It has to do with transformation, but I will leave the rest up to interpretation.

2 comments:

  1. So that's what you're doing when you're not blogging. Nice. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very cool paintings! I love when artists describe their process. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete