September 10, 2009

Finally....

Being an employed adult, I have the ability to purchase items I find needed or desired. This week I bought something which is definitely both for me, a guitar. I have gone over two months now without playing any kind of musical instrument (if you don't count one of my student's xylophones which I played chopsticks on before class once).

I had previously browsed the guitars at a music shop about two blocks from my house and found this beautiful red guitar. Lacking funds, I vowed to one day return and retrieve the axe. Here is the guitar:

I named her cherry, for the color. It is pronounced with a French style 'ch,' so you would say Sherry. The sound is nice, but I think its a little heavy on low end noise. That could also by my style of playing, though.
A sexy shot

I'm not really sure where this guitar was made, but I think there are Japanese characters inside. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if it was made in China.

Looking nice

The store owner through in a soft case, a strap, a tuner, and some guitar picks, so I was happy.

Now I just miss my bass, keyboard, harmonica, and cello. Just wait...

It's a super strange spot for this, but this photo is a must see.

3 comments:

  1. Cool. Will you be playing for your classes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, that would be pretty cool wouldnt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That guitar is made in Korea. The characters are mostly Chinese characters mixed with several Korean characters. In old days (until maybe 15 years ago, there were a lot of chinese characters in newspapers also until 1990 or so), many Korean people used Chinese characters to look more intelligent and also to avoid confusion from homonyms although there are beautiful (and scientific in some sense) Korean characters. Nowadays we don't use Chinese characters in everyday life a lot, and use a lot of English words instead. You can think those are Japanese characters because Japanese still use a lot of Chinese characters mixed with their (Japanese) more simple-looking characters.

    Anyway, it says that it is handmade (in Chinese characters) from O-bong guitar company in Korea, and the company has the 30 year old tradition, which is quite long for a guitar company in Korea. So I think your guitar is not just a walmart guitar or something. I guess they kind of wanted to emphasize that they have a (relatively) long tradition and still use a lot of Chinese characters.

    ReplyDelete