May 11, 2010

Open Mic NIght

Good news everyone: I have joined a band. This started when my friend Adrian was trying to set up an open mic night at a local club. We arranged for it and had three people to play. Since we knew that it was probably going to be just us three (Me, Adrian, and this other guy who sings named Jake), and we decided to get together and learn some cover songs to fill some time. We practiced for about two weeks, learned about 8 songs (SERIOUSLY 8 SONGS!), and had our opening mic night last Tuesday.

We got a really great turnout of English teachers and Korean people for the night. It started with fog machines and Adrian playing the opening song "Falling Slowly" at the request of the Korean owners of the club.

I have a few pictures from the night thanks to my friend Megan who came to visit for that night (you may remember her from pillow fight day). This first picture is from the bands first song. We sang this Korean song called "Nobody" which I have actually posted on this blog before. We had the bartenders sing it because Korean is really hard.
The lineup for 'Nobody' (left to right): Jake, Adrian, Hong, Me, Panda

From there the band played a few more songs, and then a solo song or two from the three of us, and then a few more songs to play out the night. The set list looked like this:

Falling Slowly
Nobody
Sweet Child of Mine
No Rain
I'm Yours

Solo Sets:
Flume (Me)
It's the End of the World as We Know It (Jake and Adrian)
Bizarre Love Triangle (Jake and Me)
(Adrian)

And to finish out:
A Little Help from my Friends
Crazy
I Will Survive
Smells Like Teen Spirit

Here's another picture of me from the night; I'm not sure what song it is:
It ended up being a really great night and I'm pretty sure everybody enjoyed the set. We're going to play another show on the 20th. There's only one problem, which is that our band doesn't have an official name yet. We have a few ideas, but aren't set on anything. The ideas are: 96% (an inside joke), and Iron Kimchi. These aren't super great, so if anyone has ideas I'll look forward to reading them in the comments.

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I need to know - "Good news everyone" is an intentional reference, or purely coincidental?

    I love the name Iron Kimchi, but that may be purely due to the fact that I'm not privy to the hilarity that is "96%."

    Anyway, it looks like it was a great show, wish I could have been there to see! Make sure someone gets some video of the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh weird...didn't mean to comment as that profile, sorry about that.
    -Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now the creater of the famous ytame url site has been exposed. on my blog comments! hahahahahahahahaha.

    I think i wrote good news everyone because i was watching futurama at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we still need to hear the hilarity behind 96%

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your band should be called The Rockness Monster... Old School

    ReplyDelete