March 31, 2010

Drawing Day

Welcome, loyal readers to post number 6 of March. That makes this a productive month of twice as many as last month. Actually, come to think of it, I called last month a haitus month, so that's not too impressive I guess. I'm not completely sure anybody still reads this actually since nobody has commented for a while.

Lately I have sort of a backlog of posts I've been meaning to get out, so I literally have about 5 posts in my head that I'm just to lazy to write. Something happened today, though, that I have got to post about.

I called this day 'Drawing Day' unofficially because it started out with my first graders having to draw a picture of their family. To give them the idea (they dont speak much English) I drew a picture of my family on the board and labelled it. I think I did a pretty decent job for stick figures:
My dad did come off looking a little like Fidel Castro, but that's not too big of a deal. So next period, a bunch of my students had the idea to draw me, I think they had the idea because of the drawing that was left there on the board.

Anyway, here a few drawings from my grade 2 students:
beautifully captured my eyelashes

kind of a melancholy look

But theres actually a pretty funny story to this last one by my grade 2 student. He drew this, and I'm pretty sure he's not really fond of me. So flash forward 3 hours and I have a class with 2 students. I pushed one of the girls in her chair, and I wasn't sure what happened but she kind of sat there crying with her head down for like half an hour (Korean kids cry all the time-its not a huge deal). I decided to take these drawings out to try to chear them up, and I show it to the other student. She cracked up for about ten minutes. Literally ten minutes. The other girl decides to perk up and look at this and she gets a little kick out of it. They asked me who drew it and I went 'oh it's some grade 2 I don't know his Korean name but his English name is Derek.' They go 'Woa,' because it ended up that the kid who drew the picture is the little brother of the girl who was crying. So then we laughed for a another few minutes about it and the day was over. Here's the picture by the way:

So those events made the day end kind of weird, but it was OK overall. I did get this other drawing of me that I thought was pretty good:

See you next month!

5 comments:

  1. That funny drawing is pretty interesting - heart shape face, cracked down the center, pig nose. I don't think Derek is your #1 fan. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brad, keep posting, I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still read them!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still here too. We should Skype again soon. What is your favorite Korean tv show?

    ReplyDelete
  5. and meeee! i still read them!
    -melissa

    ReplyDelete