April 06, 2010

Everybody was Pillow Fighting

This will be a short, but exciting post. I was supposed to hang out with my friend Megan who lives near Seoul last weekend, and she told me about a massive pillow fight that was going on in Seoul. It turns out last Saturday was 'International Pillow Fight Day.' Pillow fighting actually takes place around the world on that day, go figure.

After spending a few hours in Insadong, including this tea joint with birds flying around on the inside, we made our way to Seoul City Hall Plaza with pillows in hand.

Me with my trusty giant white pillow

Megan with her whale pillow. Not too powerful but definitely stylish.

This is the plaza where the fighting took place. There was luckily a giant clock so we could tell when it was supposed to start.

So below is pretty much what took place for the pillow fight. It was a lot of people swinging away wilding in a massive chaotic gathering. I think the total amount of people there was in the 200-300 range, but I'm not really sure.
That's my friend John in the blue shirt

I just like this picture because there are tall buildings

A few people were cool enough to bring feather pillows. This really paid off when they inevitably exploded.

And the ensuing pillow entrails all over the ground.


There were definitely plenty of people there with cameras who eventually posted video to Youtube. I found a few with me on them. This first one you can see me at about :30 seconds in when I bust my way through the crowd in my green jacket.




This next video is a little overproduced (annoying) but I make a bunch of appearances throughout. At about 1:10 I can be seen prominently in my pink bunny sweatshirt next to my friend Megan.


So a giant pillow fight definitely is not something you get to do everyday, probably because pillow fight day only comes but once a year. It is definitely worth checking out, though, if you have a chance to go to one.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! That's awesome...there was a pillow fight in Union Square in NYC that same day too, so I saw a lot of people walking around with pillows. I somehow got sidetracked and forgot to go check it out though.

    Oh, btw, I try to keep up with your posts, but just don't ever think to comment. I especially look forward to the painting posts (e.g. the upcoming lantern!), so keep it up, mang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha you look like you're out to kill someone with that pillow! and why is everyone white? -mys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, it ended up being a group of English teachers beating each other with pillows. There were at least a dozen or so Koreans, but overall a pretty poor showing for the home team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of such a thing, but that is totally awesome. I want to go to international pillow fight day!

    ReplyDelete