December 17, 2009

I'm at It Again

I mentioned before about my love of finding great second hand furniture on street corners, in dumpsters, etc. This time I definitely outdid myself. Anyway, I found this really great china cabinet outside of an apartment building on my way to work and had to have it. Why would I need a china cabinet? I'm not really sure, but it's great.


I saw this cabinet thing on my way to work about 4 days in a row and thought it possible that someone was keeping it out there during a move or something. I mean it's in top condition and seems barely used if at all. So I waited these 4 days and then last night when it was snowing hard I decided that whoever owned this thing is not coming back for it. A night of snow would most likely ruin it.

So that was it, I decided this thing was mine. Then was the task of getting up to my apartment, about two blocks away and four stories up. Good god this thing was heavy, though. I lifted it over this foot and a half high fence which was no small feat. I managed to carry it back the two blocks to my building by tilting it and just bear hugging it to pick it up. My forearms got such a workout I think they expanded to Popeye proportions.

It was finally to my building, and then was just the small task of carrying it up three flights of stairs. I figured I could just just bear hug it upright and lift it up step by step, but it wouldn't fit into the initial door. It's really tall. Then, I called my friend Steven who agreed to come out and help me with it. Bam. Brand new china hutch.

We did end up getting a lot of snow in our town that night, I estimate about three inches. I think it's great because it reminds me of home and it was really packy for good snowball fights. It was definitely a nice pickup, even if my arms are sore as I'm typing this. Now I just need to find something to put inside the cabinet.

3 comments:

  1. That does look pretty nice, surprising someone would just toss it out. Next big question: will it fit in the overhead bins on an airplane, if you want to bring it back to the states? ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. i think it has to stay in korea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you wrote, "Bam. Brand new china hutch," I somehow read it as "Barn. Brand new china hutch," with really bad kerning. Why, Bonazza, why?!

    ReplyDelete