December 24, 2009

Mixed Signals

A few weeks ago, I received an interesting gift. One of my students painted and rolled up this picture:
So okay, it's a nice abstract semi-incomprehensible painting done by a four year old kid. Inside was this:

Ahhh, isn't that sweet? My student, Iris, wants me to go to her church.

But it was a few short weeks before that that another student gave me a gift:
This is actually a bible, but the pages were wetted so that they rolled up and formed this kind of huge crazy cylinder. It's pretty cool actually. If you look closely you can see that it has both English and Korean versions of the bible.


So are the odds that one student would give me an invitation to her Christian church, while another would spend some time desecrating a bible and then give it to me? Well, let's take a look at the religious makeup of Korea. According to Wikipedia, it is as follows:

Christian: 29%
Buddhists: 23%
Pretty much nuthin': 46%

Hmm, so that pretty much makes sense, although I'm slightly more likely to be given the blasphemous bible by one of my students if you go by straight percentages. One thing though, this bible ended up making a sweet paint brush holder.
Mmmm, sacrelicious.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, sacrelicious. They should just replace the word sacrilegious with sacrelicious, as I cannot think of an instance where they aren't synonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So.... running out of things to talk about? When are you on Skype? It would be cool to talk soon.

    ReplyDelete