October 13, 2009

More Paintings, Again

So it's been somewhat sparse here at Brad's Korean Adventures, huh? Sorry about that. I guess one of the main reasons for that is that not as many new things happen, so I don't have as much to write about. I do have a few posts to put up this week, and I'm going to try to do about 10 a month still (that's one every three days).

Things are going pretty well though, otherwise. I think I've gotten good enough at teaching now that I can walk into a class with no previous thought and pull enough out of my arse to kill 45 minutes. Wait, I'm not really sure if that makes me a good teacher or not. With my most dreaded class, this one called GS1 which is all 13 year olds, I have gotten to the point where if they don't participate in class, I just torture them. I try to come up with fun activities for them, e.g. general conversation or filling in lyrics to Beatle's songs, but they still just sit there with an apathetic look, resting their head's on their hands. That's why this week I said "OK, if no one will participate then I have a worksheet," and continued to pull out a terribly boring grammar worksheet I found on the internet. Take that, apathetic middle schoolers.

I did complete a painting, which is the reason for this post. It's another one where I just made a whole bunch of tiny triangles (there's one where I did this in Kelsey's apartment) and then I decided to try to do shading and make it look like an object.


Here are all of the tiny triangles. I'm not sure why I like to do this because it takes me about two days.

I proceeded to color in the shape of a hand which is from a photograph of my hand. I did this with a combination of five colors, a yellow, two oranges, and red, and a purplish red.


I didn't know what to do for the background, so I started with this outline around the hand which gets bigger and switches colors between purple and blue. I showed this picture to my friend Daniel on my camera and he was like "oh no, that ruins it. You have to do something out of focus like in a real photograph."

I then painted a black over it, but washed out with some water. Then I put some blue color, and then a little bit lighter blue color. I think it actually looks a little bit like rain or something, and that it actually looks really good. I'm totally happy with the way this turned out. It's on a canvas this time, one that I bought from a local store for only $4. I think it was an OK price for a 12x16 inch canvas.

I decided to throw in a bonus for this post. Here is the last painting I made before I came to Korea. It's a hand holding a guitar, obviously. I put this in because it's a little similar to the other hand one. It's painted on a grid of this kind of sail boat shaped pattern, and then it's my hand holding a C-chord. It might be my favorite painting I've done.

2 comments:

  1. Love the new hand painting and the old--mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really cool. I like the 1st hand better with the rain behind it, too.

    ReplyDelete