October 26, 2009

Halloween Time

So Halloween is almost here, and so far it has seemed like the biggest holiday at my school. My boss actually put the Halloween decorations about three weeks ago. Since he did that, I decided I would go ahead and start teaching Halloween related topics. I started with Halloween vocabulary, Halloween word unscrambling and coloring, and my favorite activity I have done: 'My Halloween Costume.' This is where I hand out a sheet of paper with an outline of a body on it, and let them go to town drawing their ideal Halloween costumes.

The blank body

In one of my classes of 7 year olds, the kids drew only zombies and witches. There were some really good ones, so I went ahead and picked some winners from my classes.
Jerry, age 8, who still has no idea how to spell his name. I like to call this 'The Metrosexual Vampire'.


Brian, age 10. This is just a really sweet looking vampire. I love the armor.


Euris, Age 7. This might be just a drawing of a girl in a dress with a hat. I liked the bright colors and that she's really happy.


Noah, age 7. This is the class that did only zombies and witches. I liked the extra arms and the weapons.


Alex, age 9. I like the coloring and the extra arms and stuff.


David, age 9. I just really like the little bat thing that hangs out with the demon.


Now, here is the clear loser of all the classes:
Daniel, age 10. His drawing is a teacher and it's not very nice.

2 comments:

  1. I love when I can incorperate art into my teaching, especially when it is left open for student interpretation such as your activity. These are so good!! It will be interesting to see what their costumes actually turn out to be. I actually really like the teacher costume (Eli and I laughed pretty hard about it), though I'm curious to know what is in the "talking bubble" (is the teacher swearing or saying something unintelligent?). The student has quite the interpretation of a teacher...lots of breasts, a pile of poo, an "x" for genitalia...the icing on the cake must be whatever the teacher is saying, and we want to know what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I realized that I had seen this word before. It's pronounced 'yok', and it's translation is swearword, I think like any generic swear. That's funny because I make a point NOT to swear in class, but I catch a lot of students cursing in English.

    ReplyDelete