June 02, 2010

Happy Election Day

It's an exciting time in Korea as elections are today. Actually I'm way too ignorant to know what offices these elections are for, but I do have today off since everyone is supposed to get out and vote. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Working up to this day off hasn't been all sunshine and rainbows, though. The Korean political campaigning system is one of the most annoying things in the world. Each candidate has a truck with a podium set up in the back, and the truck also usually has an LCD screen and a really loud speaker system. These trucks were driving around for the last few weeks blaring the candidates campaign songs, sometimes starting at 8am, right outside my window. One song was to the tune of 'If you're happy and you know it,' and it kind of drove me to hate the song.


The picture above was taken at night and unfortunately I don't have anything better. I did, however, take this photo below while walking to the grocery store. This candidate had some volunteers, mostly middle aged women, stand on this street corner and wave these fans with his candidate number on it.


I definitely miss the USA where the political commericals are just on TV where they can't wake you up in the morning. Well, at least it's over now.

No comments:

Post a Comment