April 20, 2010

Teaching Can Sure Be Sweet

When my new kindergarten classes started about a month ago, I got a gift from one of my student's mothers. It was this bag with a jar of sugar candies in it. It's definitely a nice gift, but the messages with it are funny.

On the outside, it says "Bradley Teacher: I appreciate your interest in my son." Hmmm ok.


And here's the jar of candies, which say "Be My Love Sweet" on the outside of the jar.

The be my love sweet thing is pretty funny, but this is a fairly common practice for Korean parents to give a gift of food to the teacher as an incentive to teach their children well. The only problem is this kid is kind of a terror. He hates to sit down during class, and occasionally he likes to punch me in that special area. He is surprisingly strong for a 6 year old, too.

So thanks for the gift, I'll do my best. Or maybe I'll just give the candy to the kid in exchange for not hitting me in the balls.

3 comments:

  1. She probably knows he is a terror and is giving you a gift because she's sorry you have to deal with him.
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh out loud!
    Sorry, Brad! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber is right. That is what my experience has been.

    ReplyDelete