February 16, 2012

My New Home: Hanseo University

I write this now as my latest period of unemployment is coming to an end. I will soon be starting a new position as "English Professor" at Hanseo Univeristy. I use quotes because it doesn't seen really appropriate to call me a professor.

But, it is a really nice job to have. I signed my contract recently for 30 million a year. Thats right, 30 million, no need to ask what currency that is in. That salary is for two semesters of teaching 8 or 9 90 minute lectures plus four office hours per week. Plus, I get one day off per week for "research," and months of vacation per year.

One thing I love about this job is the location of the university. Hanseo University can be translated as "Korea West" University, and it is nestled nicely in the middle of some mountains in the Western part of Korea. It's not really located in a city, but a nearby town called Haemi is about 5km away; and Seosan (my previous city) is about a 20 minute drive from the campus. It seems to be a great location if you really love hiking, though not such a great location if you like partying.

I'll get to some pictures, anyway:
the gate to Hanseo campus

A nice mountain next to the campus area

this is the view from the top of the mountain in the previous picture

the architecture building, where my office will be located

a pagoda housing a bell located at the top of the campus

a sculpture garden

a nice woman playing cello, in the woods

a horse

The campus is really littered with sculptures. I heard that all of the sculptures located on campus are by former students, thought I haven't confirmed it. There are a few really nice ones, but there are a LOT there that range from mediocre to eyesore territory. Oh well.

I hoped you like the tour of campus, I'll take more pictures as spring comes and keep everyone updated!

2 comments:

  1. Haha I like the horse, reminds me of laughing camel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZr3_Ac_nB4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brad. I like your page. My name's John. I worked in Gyeong-Nam (Jinju) and Gyeongbuk (Gyeongju) for about 12 years but now I'm home in Florida. I'm considering returning to Korea in March. I saw an advert for teaching at Hanseo and am considering applying. The conditions look good. I was hoping I could ask you a few questions - I'll just post them here and you can answer by email, maybe.

    -How are the teaching conditions and classes there?

    -How much is the housing stipend? Where do most ESL teachers live? Seosan? How do you like living there? I've been to Anmyeondo. That was beautiful.

    -I would be coming from the US, what do you think is the best way to get housing set up?

    -Any other helpful insights or observations you have would be greatly appreciated!

    Yeah, the 4 day work week and no camps during vacations sounds really good. And not too far from Seoul. ... Anyway, I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a lot and take care.

    Sincerely,
    John G.
    roadfriend96@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete